Educational Services Quicklinks » Unhoused Children (McKinney-Vento)

Unhoused Children (McKinney-Vento)

The McKinney-Vento Unhoused Education Program helps children with unstable housing have equal access to a free public education as provided to all of the other children in the District. Under the law, a child is considered unhoused if they do not have a regular adequate residence. This means any students living in shelters, in substandard housing, doubled up with friends or relatives because they have no other place to go and cannot afford a home. The other living arrangements included are single room hotels, cars, parks, and public places. Burlingame School District strives to connect students to available district resources as dictated by the law and any applicable resources available in the surrounding community. If you believe a student qualifies under the McKinney-Vento unhoused education program, contact Educational Services (650) 259-3800 to set up an appointment for immediate help.

A student is/might be considered unhoused if they are:

  • In a shelter (family, domestic violence, youth shelter, or transitional living program)
  • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing
  • In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
  • In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the street
  • In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or guardian
  • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)
  • With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth


And may/be entitled to:

  • School enrollment within 24 hours
  • Automatic enrollment to the Free/Reduced Meals Program
  • Provide school supplies
  • A bus pass or Clipper Card when requested
  • Support service referrals
  • Academic intervention
  • Removal of barriers to education


To be enrolled in school if you live under any of these conditions, you do NOT need to provide:

  • Proof of residency
  • Immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results      
  • School records
  • Legal Guardianship papers


You may:

  • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
  • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled, even if you have moved away from that school’s attendance zone or district.
  • Receive transportation support from your current residence back to your school or origin.
  • Qualify automatically for child nutrition programs (free and reduced-price lunches and other district food programs).
  • Contact the district at 650-259-3800 to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.